OR LISTEN TO THE SHOW ON ANY OF THESE POPULAR PODCAST PLATFORMS (AND DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE):
Welcome to 1% Better and this episode’s conversation with Aoife O’Brien.
Before launching her own business, Empowerment Coaching, Aoife had a successful 17 years in the corporate world, working with global companies to solve marketing problems. She is passionate about empowering people to be happier at work, whether it’s a transition to self-employment, helping start-ups get clear and confident on where they are going, or working with organisations to ensure they hire and retain the right staff. She has lived and worked in Dublin, London, Perth and Sydney and is currently studying for a MSc in Work and Organisational Behaviour.
In her spare time she loves to travel – she has been to all 7 continents, and has travelled solo through most of the world, with camera in hand. She enjoys connecting with new people and trying new things, and keeps fit by doing yoga, and running.
In today’s episode, Aoife talks about making a career change, working on her core values, setting up a business, and her motivation to help others be happier at work and more empowered. We had a really good chat on a number of topics that you will be able to relate to I’m sure.
- Where the idea of being happier at work came from
- Giving up the day job to focus fully on coaching and empowering others
- Honest Conversations with Your Boss!
- When do you know it’s time to leave a job?
- Leaving a job and not having another job to go to!
- The time it takes to start building a business
- The truth in the Know, Like, Trust concept
- Seeing clients results as the huge driver instead of money
- Having a big blocker when deciding on a business name
- Working through the process of identifying her unique offering
- Empowerment is all about giving people the power to make the right decisions
- A loss of meaning and purpose in everyday life
- Going to mass and religion providing people with a sense of purpose and meaning in the past – now people are looking for this in other places
- Different types of commitment that people face
- Personal Core Values work – approaches used
- Think of what really bothers you and then flip it!
- Start just brainstorming words and then group them together
- The power of connecting with others and having fun!
- The Coaching Process and useful tools and approaches taken
- The whole life balance – taking a holistic view instead of just one area of life
- Working on self-limiting beliefs and how to overcome them
- Imposter Syndrome – gaining publicity and making this more visible to others and providing tips to overcome it
- The good side of having Imposter syndrome
- The importance of Ethics in Coaching
- Anyone saying they’re a Coach – which can be a problem for potential clients
- How to be more Resilient when the tough days come – remembering the positives and keep in mind it’s about serving others as motivating factors
- The learnings from podcasting so far with her own podcast ‘happier at work’ – just ask the question!
Book Recommended on the Show – Nancy Kline & Time To Think – Book recommended
Got feedback about the episode? interested in starting your own podcast? or need some coaching to help achieve your goals? get in touch directly with me via email – [email protected]