Ian Farrar is a man of many talents. These include Sales, Marketing, Digital & Business Coach, Podcast Hosting training, and helping other improve. That’s why I felt he was a perfect fit and guest on ‘1% Better’.
We connected last year as we both presented topics on ‘International Podcast Day’ in September 2018 and we agreed to do an episode.
I didn’t mess around too much with this one as I dived straight into Ian’s Entrepreneurial Journey and it flowed from there.
As always, we cover a broad range of topics and share a number of practical tips, tools, insights that you could take something of value from.
Here’s a summary of the show:
- How Ian started out on his Entrepreneurial Journey – Never something he deliberately wanted to!
- The jumping off point – what brought it to a head?
- Burning out after pushing too hard & stressed
- Culture is a key component
- Leadership and how to deal with tough leaders
- Becoming a victim to Bonus, Targets and Sales
- Incentivization and Gamification
- Defining the Why & Simon Sinek
- Being able to do things you want to do!
- Enjoying the roles – which stand out as most enjoyment
- Volunteering & 101 ways to volunteering – working on a book here
- Becoming more of an experienced leader with Probono roles on Boards
- Core Values & what makes up you?
- Being able to look at yourself in the mirror?
- Integrity & Humility
- Early Challenges from the early stages of entrepreneurial journey
- Cash Flow is King when going out on your own!
- Coaching approaches and style — Listening is at the core
- Mentoring v Coaching & the 90/10 rule!
- Leadership is a lonely journey – getting everything out on the table is key for Coachee
- Always having a mentor to keep himself accountable
- The value of a mastermind group and sharing out ideas
- Not letting fear hold him back at all – feeling he can take on any challenge and pushing through
- Having battle scars during the career and needing them to be able to coach
- Real Coaching v ‘pretend’ coaches
- Imposter Syndrome and being aware of it!
- Being cautious with the word ‘experts’ on social media
- Trying not to react to social media
- Being Human – You can’t help your feelings, but you can help how you react!
- Goal Setting Approaches and wanting to inspire others
- The Spark to beginning the podcast journey
- Reading the BBC’s top 100 books leading to Audio books which lead to podcasting
- Pushing through and learning by just doing and doing!
- Stand out guests from Ian’s how show
- Ted Rubin – Episode 100
- Pushing the envelope further by starting to do live episodes & recording in-front of an audience
- How now to deal with stress:
- learning to say ‘no’ more!
- Exercise and sport
- Social Good & Giving Back
- How to have a good day? What approaches?
- What question do you not like being ask & why?
- Advice been given?
- What’s the most important lesson learned? What you do and what you say can be very different!
- Book Recommendations
- Dinner Guests??
- The future of Sunderland FC!
Get in touch with Ian Farrar:
As mentioned in my intro, here’s the link to the gofundme for Maisie.